“If the first course was about absorbing midwifery into the skin, this course is about beginning to feel it in your bones, think like a midwife, and trust that indeed you already are one.”
Heart & Hands Advanced Intensives focus on application and refinement of knowledge and skills learned in Heart & Hands Beginning Intensives. A virtual workshop format builds on the foundation you have already established in your previous studies. Little homework – lots of small group concentration!
These three, all-day workshops include:
- Initial interview, small group practice and critique
- Complete prenatal exams, including interview and routine care
- Pelvic exam, including bimanual assessment, cervical assessment, and Pap smear
- Basics of non-pregnant client care, including breast health/exam and common gynecological concerns
- Case histories – prenatal, intrapartum and postpartum, workup and review
- Role-playing of crisis/complications management
- Grief counseling – debriefing difficult birth experiences (for practitioner and client)
- Liability, informed consent, setting boundaries in care-giving
- Venipuncture/blood draw techniques
- Guest midwives panel – midwives share their experiences and take student questions
- More on apprenticeship and licensure – practical preparation
“I found the advanced course to be the perfect place for integrating and distilling all the information from the beginning course. The case histories were extremely helpful, the complications role-playing empowering, and the midwife panel invaluable for bringing to life what so often feels abstract.”
Heart & Hands Beginning Intensives (virtual, previous correspondence or onsite) are a prerequisite for this course. To register for Heart & Hands Advanced Intensives, please send payment in full of $725 (non-refundable, non-transferable) in check or money order made out to Elizabeth Davis, to 3201 Burnside Rd, Sebastopol, CA 95472, along with your email and phone number. Please include the date (month/year) you completed the beginning course. All BIPOC students qualify for a 10% discount, with tuition of $653, same terms as above.
Upon receipt of your registration, I will email a confirmation letter with all the details, including required texts and their cost. As the start date approaches, I will email a PDF of course reference materials.
Missed meetings can be made up in any subsequent series (space permitting), at a cost of $100 each, payable in advance.
Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org or phone/text (707) 695-6520.