“If the first course was about absorbing midwifery into the skin, this course is about beginning to feel it in your bones, think like a midwife, and trust that indeed you already are.”
The Advanced Workshops focus on application and refinement of knowledge and skills learned in the beginning Heart & Hands Intensives course. A workshop format builds upon the foundation you have already established. Little homework – lots of small group concentration!
These three, all-day workshops include:
- Initial interview, small group practice and critique
- Complete prenatal exams, including interview and routine care
- Pelvic exam, including bimanual assessment, cervical assessment, and Pap smear
- Basics of non-pregnant client care, including breast health/exam and common gynecological concerns
- Case histories – prenatal, intrapartum and postpartum, workup and review
- Role-playing of crisis/complications management
- Grief counseling – debriefing difficult birth experiences (for practitioner and client)
- Liability, informed consent, setting boundaries in care-giving
- Venipuncture/blood draw techniques
- Guest midwives panel – midwives share their experiences and take student questions
- More on apprenticeship and licensure – practical preparation
“I found the advanced course to be the perfect place for integrating and distilling all the information from the beginning course. The case histories were extremely helpful, the complications role-playing empowering, and the midwife panel invaluable for bringing to life what so often feels abstract.”
Heart & Hands Intensives beginning course (virtual, correspondence, or previous onsite) is a prerequisite for this course. To register for the virtual course, send payment in full of $725 (non-refundable, non-transferable) in check or money order made out to Elizabeth Davis, to 3201 Burnside Rd, Sebastopol CA 95472. Missed meetings can be made up in any subsequent series (space permitting), at a cost of $100 each, payable in advance. NOTE: Payment plans are available by special arrangement: contact me for details.
The Advanced Workshops are also available in correspondence format, payable as above. Please include the date (month/year) you took the beginning course. Upon receipt of your registration, I will email the modules in Word format, or you may work in Googledocs if you prefer. Textbooks are a separate cost; please contact me for details.
Space permitting, correspondence students in the Advanced Course may choose to attend selected virtual meetings at a charge of $100 each, payable in advance. Certain meetings are especially rich in practice; contact me for details.
Questions? email@example.com or phone/text (707) 695-6520.