“If the first course was about absorbing midwifery into the skin, this course is about beginning to feel it in your bones, think like a midwife, and trust that indeed you already are.”
The Advanced Workshops focus on application and refinement of skills leaned in the basic intensive course. A practical, hands-on workshop format builds upon the academic/skills foundation you have already established. Little homework–lots of small group concentration!
These three, all-day workshops include:
- Initial interview, small group practice and critique
- Complete prenatal exams, including interview and routine care
- Advanced pelvimetry, including bimanual assessment, cervical assessment and Pap smear
- Basics of non-pregnant client care, including breast health/exam
- Case histories–prenatal, intrapartum and postpartum, workup and review
- Role-playing of crisis/complications management
- Grief counseling–debriefing difficult birth experiences (for practitioner and client)
- Liability, informed consent, setting boundaries in care-giving
- Venipuncture/blood draw
- Guest midwives panel–nurse-midwives and direct-entry midwives share their experiences
- More on apprenticeship and licensure–practical preparation
“I found the advanced course to be the perfect place for integrating and distilling all the information from the beginning course. The practice cases were extremely helpful, the venipuncture empowering, and the midwife panel invaluable for bringing to life what so often feels abstract.”
Heart & Hands beginning course (offsite or onsite) is a prerequisite for this course. Cost is $725, payable with a $425 non-refundable, non-transferable deposit (in check or money order made out to Elizabeth Davis), with payments of $150 for classes one and two (no payment due at third meeting). Missed classes can be made up in any subsequent series (space permitting), at a cost commensurate with current fees.
The Advanced Workshops are also available in an offsite, correspondence format. The fee for the offsite advanced coursework is $725, payable up front, non-refundable and non-transferable. Register by sending this fee (in check or money order made out to Elizabeth Davis), to 3201 Burnside Rd, Sebastopol CA 95472, along with the date (month/year) you completed the beginning course. If you took the beginning course onsite, please include a brief self-assessment of your ability to do correspondence learning. I will email the modules in Word format, which you will also be able to access through the NMI Student Portal. Again, textbooks are a separate cost; please contact me for details.
Offsite students have the option to attend onsite classes at the Sebastopol location on a drop-in basis. Certain classes are especially rich in hands-on practice; contact me for details on schedule and cost. Fees for drop-in classes are payable in advance; space is not guaranteed until fees are paid. Once space is confirmed, fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Send registration and fees to Elizabeth Davis, 3201 Burnside Rd, Sebastopol CA 95472.
Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org or phone/text (707) 695-6520.